[Gllug] flushing tape drive cache - SOLVED

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 29 19:13:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Alain Williams announced authoritatively:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:45:03PM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> -- egg on face - long explanation follows ---
>>
>> further to my earlier post - the drive cache was not the problem - the
>> symlink was.
>>
>> * The drive is an ATAPI drive and it is the first IDE/ATA device
>> * /dev/tape is symlinked to /dev/hda
>> * `ls -lh /dev/hda` revealed this..
>>
>> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          43G 2006-03-25 01:32 /dev/hda
>
> Eeek! That implies that you have a *huge* RFS[**], I must admit that I don't

It also implies that you aren't using udev, as then your /dev is very likely
to be a very small tmpfs filesystem.

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk