[Gllug] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Philippe Poelvoorde pooly7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:43:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

2006/3/29, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk>:

> Emon writes:
>

> Religion, mostly. See emacs vs vi. Personally, I detested KDE because it
> was fat, bloated and slow. Plus, gtk+ was a dream to code in compared to
> Qt. But hey, after some years of playing catch up, GNOME is just as fat,
> bloated and slow, too. Possibly even edging ahead these days.

Question of taste, having program in QT and Gtk+, I from far prefer
the QT framework.

> Like Mike, I use neither, but occasionally find need to use a GNOME or KDE
> app from within my X environment. That's when the unnecessary dependencies
> *really* start pissing me off...

Did you ever try to compile Kde and Gnome from source ? Kde compile
like a charm ( I try that on my old LFS), Gnome in comparison used to
be a nightmare (I haven't try to use gargnome though...). So speaking
of dependencies, Kde is much more neat.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk