[Gllug] couple of quick questions (USB stick and backups)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 25 19:54:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Mike Brodbelt moaned:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>> I think 'dump' is great. ...  Unfortunately Linus disagrees
>> (http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3) and he probably knows what
>> he's talking about.  It's not possible to dump an ext2/3 filesystem
>> without getting data corruption, unless the filesystem is entirely
>> unmounted, in which case you might as well be using another backup
>> method.
>
> Backing up mounted filesystems with dump has been an ongoing sore point
> for a long time. In practice, you'll get away with it the vast majority
> of the time, but I'd question whether that's a good attitude to take for
> backups.

I don't see any reason why you can't create LVM/EVMS/device-mapper snapshots
(all the same entity under different names) and then dump *those*.

(Not that I like dump either.)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk