[Gllug] couple of quick questions (USB stick and backups)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Mar 25 10:33:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:00:08AM +0100, salsaman wrote:
> That's OK. I found the "dump" command. First you edit /etc/fstab, and in
> the fifth field you set either a 1 (dump) or 0 (no dump).
> Then dump will exclude the filesystems marked with a 0.

I think 'dump' is great. ...  Unfortunately Linus disagrees
(http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3) and he probably knows what
he's talking about.  It's not possible to dump an ext2/3 filesystem
without getting data corruption, unless the filesystem is entirely
unmounted, in which case you might as well be using another backup
method.

> As for my USB pen issue, I found out it is due to my using a 64 bit
> version of Mandriva, which has some USB/hotplug "issues". After talking
> to mandriva support, I learned that surprisingly, it doesn't give any
> advantage installing a 64 bit version of Linux unless you are using >
> 4GB of memory for a process. So I will be reinstalling that system with
> a 32 bit OS.

Hmmm - I'm not sure that's true.  We rely on Linux on AMD64 for all
sorts of things - eg. mmap-ing large files into memory, and using
strings > 16MB in OCaml (because of
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2005/02/864773bce58872be372abbd917f3c3ec.en.html )

Rich.

--