[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 20:50:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006, Tethys gibbered uncontrollably:
> Nope, there's no reason to keep the root filesystem out of LVM. The
> only filesystem you need to do that with is /boot.

No you don't. LILO can boot the kernel off LVM happily.

It can't handle RAID5, but it can handle LVM-on-RAID1 perfectly well.

(Of course you'll need an initrd, or --- preferably --- an initramfs to
make that work. I can make initramfs images and so forth available using
uClibc and busybox, although I'd recommend using Rob Landley's images
instead; they're much more polished than my ugly hacks.)

>                                                     I've had root in
> LVM on all of my machines for years now. I also have a machine running
> with ext3 on LVM on RAID1, and haven't run into any problems. It all
> Just Works(tm). I'm using an FC4 kernel. I don't know if there are any
> relevant differences between that and the Linus and/or Debian kernels.

There are not. I'm using a Linus kernel (well, a stable-team kernel,
really, but that's pretty much a Linus kernel).

> My guess would be that you'd need to keep /boot out of any RAID devices
> you create, too.

No.

>                  Mine is. I guess it's possible that grub groks Linux
> software RAID these days, though.

AIUI, grub does not but LILO does, at least RAID 1. (But my GRUB knowledge
is woefully outdated.)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk