[Gllug] still wondering about lvm

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 12 13:38:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 01:34:18PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:29 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> > if it is an ext2/3 filesystem you should be able to use
> > ext2online /device/name
> > which will grow the filesystem to fill its containing device.
> > you use this on live mounted filesystems.
>
> The lvm how-to advises against using these tools - what do other people
> think?

I was under the impression that online resizing of ext2/3 required
kernel patches which are only present in redhat's kernels, whereas
offline resizing with resize2fs works with vanilla kernel.

But I could be wrong.

I've used resize2fs a lot and never had issues with it.  But
offlines resizing isn't particularly exciting.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB