[Gllug] flushing tape drive cache - SOLVED

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 13:51:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:45:03PM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> -- egg on face - long explanation follows ---
>
> further to my earlier post - the drive cache was not the problem - the
> symlink was.
>
> * The drive is an ATAPI drive and it is the first IDE/ATA device
> * /dev/tape is symlinked to /dev/hda
> * `ls -lh /dev/hda` revealed this..
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          43G 2006-03-25 01:32 /dev/hda

Eeek! That implies that you have a *huge* RFS[**], I must admit that I don't
like that, I always create the RFS as small[%%] partition, the point being
that if something horrible happens a small (& hopefully quiescent RFS[$$]) will
not get corrupted.

[**] OK: that is what most linux installers do be default as it is the no brainer.

[%%] About 1GB these days, which is obscenely big anyway, especially since I have
/usr as another partition.

[$$] which is why /tmp and /home are in other partitions

> note the lack of the c at the front there - or indeed the device
> numbers. This is a local file and not a device at all....all my backups
> have been going to a local file and not to a tape (which I have been
> carrying around in my bag!!!!). We hadn't spotted this because whenever
> we retrieved a file it was from last night's backup and thus the file
> /dev/hda was able to deliver the file we wanted to retrieve. We
> bascially only noticed this because we were retrieving a file someone
> deleted on Friday and they wanted it back from Thursday's backup.
> (fortunately they had mailed someone else a copy for comments and got it
> back from them!).
>
> One of the other servers running here (which is running correctly) has
> the ide-tape module loaded which presents the ide tape drive as /dev/ht0
> and `ls -lh /dev/ht0` gives
>
> crw-------    1 root     root      37,   0 2003-10-02 21:45 /dev/ht0
>
> Thus `mt -f /dev/tape status` on *that* machine gives the status of the
> tape drive (/dev/tape symlinks to /dev/ht0 on there).
>
> thanks for the suggestions anyway. I currently have people checking the
> other servers (not many) for the same or similar setup errors.
>
> Ryan
> BTW - if anyone is interested mt does have a drvbuffer option which
> works on SCSI drives.
>
> `mt -f <device> drvbuffer 0` switches off the drive's buffer and 1 will
> switch it on again.
>
> Not that it would have helped me in this case as it's an ATAPI drive.
> --

Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/