[Gllug] Gigabit PCI card for IBM xSeries 340

N.Pauli npauli at st-johns.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 16:18:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> N.Pauli wrote:
> > We want to put a gigabit pci ethernet card into a second hand IBM xSeries 340 we've bought. Being conscientious bargees, we rang IBM to be told that they could sell us a card for £350-ish!!
>
> It depends what you're doing. The wrong card can cripple a server.  Are
> you likely to be maxing the card out?  Can the switch it's connected too
> saturate the link?

We've actually got two of these. One is running MS SQL server with not too much of a load, a patching server and Trend anti-virus. The other will be loaded with Linux to run OpenNMS, Asterisk for internal use and a few LAMP services - none of which will be too demanding; openNMS is likely to be the most demanding.

They will connect to a managed hp procurve switch with a Gig-T/GBIC gl module.

Does this alter things?

Nigel
--
Nigel Pauli