[Gllug] Guest account for Linux??

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Mar 21 19:10:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 06:46:32PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 10:17 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:44:32AM +0600, Emon wrote:
>
> > It depends a lot on how much you trust the user(s) of this guest
> > account.  If they are trusted, you may as well give them a normal user
> > account.  If they are untrusted, you're probably better off setting up
> > a virtual machine for them, and making sure you have a good firewall
> > between your environment and their VM.  There's plenty of VM software
> > around - we've recently been using Xen a lot:
> > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/
>
> I was seriously looking at trying Xen out recently, but it seems that
> the latest Xen enabled kernel is 2.6.12, and I couldn't find anywhere on
> their with a set of Xen patches for newer kernels. As I'm using hardware
> for which there's no driver in 2.2.12, that's a bit of a pain... Are
> there any newer Xen kernels anywhere, or patchsets?

For the Fedora Core 5 release, our kernel engineers have forward ported
Xen to the 2.6.15 kernel tree. This single kernel source RPM builds to
native, kexec, Dom0 and DomU binaries for i686 and x86_64:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/source/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm

Regards,
Dan.