[Gllug] Wake-on-LAN revisited

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 27 18:05:38 UTC 2006

I've spent a chunk of today re-reading all I can find on Wake-on-LAN and
trying quite a few computers (all of which purport to support WOL
through their on-board NICs) to see if I can get it to happen.  I have
to report that yet again I've achieved nothing but failure.

The available documentation on WOL seems very thin, but from what I've
managed to gather it seems that you need to go into some sort of soft
power-off state, but nothing gives any clue about how to achieve this.

What I've done:

Enable WOL in the BIOS settings
Use ethtool to switch on WOL whilst the computer is running Linux
Shutdown with "shutdown -h now"
Try to wake it from another computer with wakeonlan and/or etherwake.

Nothing happens.

The target PC does seem to be in a sort of listening state, because the
lights on the NIC are on and flashing.  I can even see the packet
arriving, but each time the target machine (and I've tried 5 different
machines) sits there and ignores it.

Anyone ever got this technology to work?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk