[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 7 22:22:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006, Rich Walker stated:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006, Mike Brodbelt spake:
>>> Nix wrote:
>>
>>> existing project has been delayed due to a broken motherboard I now have
>>> to return though...
>>
>> Been there (burnt-out motherboard, two dying disks and broken RAM in two
>> different machines; life sucks sometimes).
>
> lots of older, cheaper machines, rather than fewer more expensive
> machines, can be a real help here.

These *were* older, cheaper machines. Thankfully I had three machines,
and only two died; and thanks to a combination of the network block
device, failures staggered by a day, and the hardware shop down the
road, I was never offline for more than a few hours :)

> Also: don't power-cycle the building. Something always dies when you do
> that :-<

I test-power-cycled my house last week. Nothing died*pzzzzt*
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk