[Gllug] a more intelligent shell

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 20 00:55:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Bruce Richardson suggested tentatively:
> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 01:03:59PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
>>
>> Just now I type 'grepp' rather than 'grep' and got the familiar command
>> not found message. This is frustrating and it'd be nice if it knew that
>> I'd made a typo. This is fraught with UI problems as I don't want it to
>> ask me really, and I dont want it to confuse ls with rm, say.
>
> And there lies your problem;  you want it to correct your mistakes
> without any interaction but you don't want it to get it wrong, which
> would require it to be psychic.

Er, tcsh (and other autocorrecting shells) *suggest* a typo-fixed
command; you have to confirm that its guess is correct.

It doesn't just go off and do it on its own without asking. (That
obviously *would* be dangerously stupid.)

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk