[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue May 16 22:05:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:43:18PM +0100, Matthew Cooke wrote:

> >Bursting of RAM would be really handy.. Say my server has 4GiB RAM and 4
> >domUs each with 500MiB, that's only ~2GiB so it would be desirable
> >to allow a domU that needed it to use more than 500MiB -- the RAM is
> >sitting wasted otherwise.  If I loaded another domU and there wasn't
> >enough RAM left for its committed amount then some should be taken
> >from another domU that is overcommitted, and replaced with swap.
>
> In theory i agree with you, although in practice when this is possible like
> it is with virtuozzo it normally means commercial hosted packages are
> oversold, resulting in poor performance.

Agree..  I was going to suggest to anyone with the ability to
implement this that it be possible to tell the real amount of
committed RAM from some file in /proc, if this isn't obvious from
"top".  But then I suppose someone would just come up with a patch
to disable this..  :)

I see Xen as far more useful for enterprises to consolidate, and
this feature would be very useful there.

Cheers,
Andy