[Gllug] Chip and PIN

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed May 10 15:22:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:16:02PM +0100, Lyons, Myke wrote:

> > And it goes without saying: biometric protection will be no safer. All
> > that will be needed is to pull the fingerprint/retinal scan data from
> > the "send" side of the terminal...

I think that (properly implemented) that C&P could be safer:

* integral keypad & card reader/holder - so that the pin doesn't leak out
* I don't fully understand it but think that once activated the C&P card then
  engages in an AKA SSL connection that authenticates the transaction.
* high sheilding round the keypad so that your key presses can't be seen by 3rd parties
  & video cameras, etc. Most of the ones that I have seen have 'sheilds' that are 1/3 inch
  high -- what a joke!

I do not have much faith in most implementations.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>