[Gllug] How to save page with java applet??

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Mon May 22 19:09:44 UTC 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 09:46, Emon wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am newbie running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop. I am using a dialup
> connection & mozilla-1.7.11-i486-2. I have got jre-1_5_0_06-i586-1
> installed. I was looking for something to keep records of the coming
> world cup games in Germany & found this java applet at
>
> http://www.worldcupchart.com/applet.htm
>
> Honestly speaking I don't know what actually applets are!! I am not all
> that tech savvy :-P

Applets are small programs (usually written in Java) which can run in
your web browser, and are often used to avoid some of the limitations
of normal html pages - allowing the authors to do fancy things with
graphics, buttons etc. Applets normally run with a reduced set of
privileges (called a sandbox) - they can only talk to the server that
you downloaded the applet from (the website you were viewing), and
shouldn't be able to make any changes to your system, so are relatively
safe.

The applet on this page is a bit different. It's a signed applet. When
you first loaded it you would have seen a pop-up asking if you
"trusted" the applet. Accepting the default "yes, I trust it" will give
the applet many more privileges (the same privileges as the user you
loaded it as), so it can access local files, and contact any remote
server it wishes to. Make sure you really do trust an applet before you
agree to "trust" it - think of it like "do you wish to run this
application" on Windows.

> The page loaded fine, I saved it, then disconnected, & tried loading
> the
> page from my home folder, but mozilla says "Loading java applet failed"

Signed applets are normaly needed for one of two reasons:

1) The applet needs access to local resources

2) The applet needs to contact servers online other than the one from
which you loaded it.

In the case of 1), seeing as you stated that the site was IE oriented,
the functionality requiring access to local resources probably wouldn't
work under linux

In the case of 2), it won't work when you're not connected to the
internet.

If you trust this applet, and want to try to run it offline, you could
try downloading the archive containing the applet, from:

http://www.worldcupchart.com/wcup.jar

and saving it in the same directory as you saved the html page. This
might work, but I can't verify it as I don't trust the applet, sorry.

> I looked at the few lines of instructions at
>
> http://www.worldcupchart.com/instruct.htm
>
> but they are mostly for IE.

And they ask you to turn off  some security features...

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Paul
--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~  4-14 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4LU

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk