[Gllug] Runaway process - squirrelmail/sendmail/php?

Tet tethys at gmail.com
Mon May 8 11:13:39 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:

> My understanding is that scsi is not 'hot pluggable' and that drives generally
> have to be switched on to be detetced when you boot the machine, and should
> then remain switched on!

That's not strictly true in theory, although in practise it's about
right. There's nothing in the SCSI protocol that prevents hot
plugging, and indeed, many vendors have been offering hot pluggable
hardware for many years. Under Linux, you have traditionally needed to
notify the kernel when adding or removing devices:

echo "scsi remove-single-device w x y z" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device w x y z" > /proc/scsi/scsi

where:

w is the controller number
x is the channel number
y is the target ID
z is the LUN

Hot plugging SCSI is generally not recommended without hardware
support, though. With the adoption of SAS, this is thankfully becoming
more widespread.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk