[Gllug] [OT] Linux exp on notebooks

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon May 22 12:55:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 13:00 +0100, Yashpal Nagar wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have to buy a personal laptop preferbly IBM or Dell.
> Can someone share some ideas which one should i go, constraint is Linux
> (Debian, Redhat) should work out of the box in terms of WiFi, VGA (1260
> X 1150 resolution), modem etc.
I have a Dell Latitude. The inbuilt wireless (*) works using Ndiswrapper
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
you can configure the card (ESSID etc.) using the GUI under Fedora.
Or just use the CLI, as I normally do.
Ndirwrapper RPMs are available for Fedora, and there will be apts
for Debian.

I think you are asking a BIT much to get a laptop modem working
straight out of the box under Linux - they tend to be Winmodems.

(*) Broadcom chipset, actually on a little mini-PCI card.

IBMs work just as well probably.
Heck, why don't you just go down to Tescos (etc.) and choose a laptop
which suits you.
Look on http://www.linux-laptop.net
and see if anyone else has got your chosen model working.

ps. I'm just Googling to see if my modem is supported in any way under
Linux. I would never use it anyway - either use wireless, wired
ethernet, bluetooth to my phone for a GPRS Link,
or I'm getting soon a new T-Mobile HSDPA connection via the mobile.

The one time in the last year I had call to use a POTS modem
I just booted it into Windows.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk