[Gllug] Laptop sub £700

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Fri May 19 11:26:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:52:08 +0100, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 5/19/06, john at sinodun.org.uk <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Not exactly a recommendation, but I´ve been amusing myself watching
>> the Dell prices waggle up and down in the papers each day for some time
>> now.  Today´s price for a fairly passable laptop (768M of RAM, 40G
>> disc, WiFi included) is £399, including delivery and VAT.
>
> Yes, I saw a similar price in the Metro the other day - seems
> reasonable value.  I've never had a Dell laptop, so can't comment.  I
> had an HP one a while ago, which was fine.  A compaq presario, which I
> liked very much, and now I have a thinkpad.  I imagine I will continue
> with thinkpads, myself - been very happy with mine.
>
>> John
>
> S.
I had one of the Acer laptops about six months ago which cost £499.  I
only had it for a week (I sold it to my customer in Sierra Leone) as I
just needed something to use as a putty terminal and watch DVDs in the
boring evenings!  Didn't try loading Linux.

You can get them off the shelf at Currys and Tesco!

It was well built and had good specs.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk