[Gllug] [bit OT] what block size is best for a tape drive?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun May 7 16:18:01 UTC 2006

I have two of these things now both attached to the same scsi card -
though I not that when one is set to a block size of 512 it cannot read
tapes written with the other one with a block size set to 0. As this
appears to be software configurable, which size is best?

And. while we're at it... how do the various compression options
interact? If I use bz2 on the backup is that irrelevant if compression
is on? Or is the hardware compression achieved through playing the tape
back twice as slowly, or what?

Thanks

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk