[Gllug] Chip and PIN

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed May 10 14:55:40 UTC 2006

Wednesday, May 10, 2006, 3:35:03 PM, t.clarke wrote:

> Just read an interesting article in the Financial Times on 'chip skimmers'

> Apparently you can buy a small device for abt 55 quid which will 'skin' card
> and pin numbers from point of sale terminals.

But of course the fraudsters have to convince the retail outlets to
install theses devices. In the end, the responsibility lies on the
human side.

> So much for the extra security of Chip and PIN it seems  !!

As Frank Abagnale says in the same article "Anything that man or woman
devises can be defeated". The real problem rests with a management
culture - across all firms - that believes that there are technical
fixes to all problems, that it is possible for technology to defeat
human ingenuity. This is, if I may use a valley-girl expression, so
totally wrong,

--
All the best,
 John