[Gllug] Wireless Hotspot distro

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed May 3 13:52:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:41:37PM +0100, Andy McGarty wrote:
> On Wed, 03 May 2006 12:51:59 +0100, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I am looking around for a Linux distro that provides an "Internet cafe
> >out of the box" kind of system.
> Have you looked at nocat?  http://nocat.net/

nocat is part of the pebble Linux distribution, which last I checked was
based on a hacked up version of Debian woody (yes, woody).

It's possible to upgrade to sarge, and keep the filesize down if you go
doing things like trimming timezone files etc, and it pretty much works.

I ditched the nocat stuff though - I wasn't especially interested in
that part of it.

Also, pebble is a bit of a hack.. what you probably want is something
like the emdebian project - try SLIND - they were at FOSDEM and SLIND
certainly looked interesting. Hopefully I'll get to trying it out next
week.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk