[Gllug] Manual arp configuration for usb networking

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue May 23 08:14:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 07:10 +0200, salsaman wrote:

> I presume you have added the route with something like: /sbin/route add
> -host <pc_ip> usb0
> Shouldn't that be enough ?

I just hate to be a smartarse, but that isn't so.
arp is needed by an Ethernet network, as it is a shared access bus
structure (I don't have the correct acronym to hand).
Basically, all ethernets are in their little hear of hearts long runs of
thick yellow coax cable. A station identifies itself uniquely by its MAC
(media access control) address. The arp protocol enables a mapping
between MAC addresses and IP addresses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk