[Gllug] Chip and PIN

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Wed May 10 14:36:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 15:35 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Just read an interesting article in the Financial Times on 'chip skimmers'
>
> Apparently you can buy a small device for abt 55 quid which will 'skin' card
> and pin numbers from point of sale terminals.
>

> So much for the extra security of Chip and PIN it seems  !!

It's not *your* security the banks are worried about.  It's the times
when you say "I didn't pay for that" and the bank can say "you must have
put your PIN in or given your PIN to someone" and you have no recourse,
whereas before if it wasn't your signature, you have a pretty good case.

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk