[Gllug] Installing Debian Sarge on a brand new SATA-based machine

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Thu May 11 09:00:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 19:09 +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > The problem is, if I tell the installer to use the
> > local mirror and forget about proxies and stuff, then it finds the
> > mirror fine, but then without permission tries to access
> > security.debian.org to see if there are any security updates.
> >
> > Can't you just manually comment out the "deb
> > http://security.debian.org/ ....." line ?
>
> No.  The accessing of security.debian.org is a specific step in the
> installation process - it's not just doing an "apt-get update" with that
> line in /etc/apt/sources.list (which AFAICS has not even been created at
> the point where the attempted access occurs).

I don't know if this will help you situation, but I found once that the
format requested for the proxy is not the format that is actually
expected by the wget provided by busybox, which is the one that the
installer uses in the early stages.  The format normal wget uses is
something like:

http://[user:password@]proxy:port/

but the format that busybox's wget uses and the one you should use for
the installer is:

[user:password@]proxy:port

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk