[Gllug] re: USA / civil liberties etc

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Mon May 1 21:34:25 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 07:48:54PM +0100, Russell Howe wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:22:08PM +0100, Mark Williams wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder how long it is since I had to prove I'm over 18? My kids don't
>>> often get asked, indeed the 16 year never has been & it's not like he
>>> never buys beer or wine...
>>>
>> One of our gllug IRC regulars, who is 18, got asked for ID in order to
>> buy a burger at a recent social meet - no doubt they would have asked to
>> see his ID card had they been introduced.
>>

> Then he should have refused to eat the burger - on the basis that if it had
> fermented that much that he needed to prove that he was 18+ to be able to
> consume the alcoholic profuct of fermentation ....
>
> Seriously: did he show them ?

Any premises has a right to refuse to serve someone and age is a common
grounds.  A lot of pubs will not serve you anything, be it food, alchol
or anything else if you are under 18.  Also most clubs and pubs and
shops now operate the policy of if you look under 21 you may be id.  As
someone who for a long time worked as a doormen and was well aware of
the fact that under age consumption was likely to cost me a substantial
fine and or loss of my license we id'd all sorts of people.

Often id people who just wanted to use the cigarette machine for example.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk