[Gllug] [OT] Linux exp on notebooks

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon May 22 14:26:06 UTC 2006

Yashpal Nagar wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have to buy a personal laptop preferbly IBM or Dell.
> Can someone share some ideas which one should i go, constraint is Linux
> (Debian, Redhat) should work out of the box in terms of WiFi, VGA (1260
> X 1150 resolution), modem etc.
> Till now i had a look on D410 but thats too expensive, what about IBM
> t40 or t43?
> I had a look also at ebay.co.uk for same, i can find here these at
> cheaper rate but no idea about quality of delivered hardware etc?

Clevo / Alienware m7700 with the AMD64x2 3800, does 1920x 1200 - lots
and lots of options to choose from and it packs some serious processing
capability.

I had one for a short while, then swapped that for an Acer Ferrari 4005
( turion64 M34 ),  which is more of a portable machine rather than the
Alienware workhorse.

On Both of these machine's Linux support is out-of-the-box, even the
bcm43xx WiFi now works fine with the 2.6.15+ kernels.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk