[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Dan Stevens (IAmAI) dan.stevens.iamai at gmail.com
Tue May 30 13:53:42 UTC 2006

> A change to TFTs would seem indicated, but I know nothing
> of what is involved nor if I may get problems with Debian Sarge.
> Vendors say they "work out of the box" - I would expect that
> as they are selling. But is it true?

I don't think one can really go much wrong with TFT monitors, no more than CRTs.

> A lot of LCD monitors come with only DVI inputs - you may need to
> upgrade your graphics card.

You can get converter cables for a reasonable price so there would be
no that. I'm not sure sure how the prices compare between TFT monitors
with DVI and VGA ports - DVI may be more expensive. I think DVI is
better providing that your graphics adapter has a DVI port (most
modern cards do now). I'd recommend that if you've only got a VGA
port, getting a TFT monitor with a VGA port. If your graphics adapter
has a DVI port, I'd look into DVI monitors but it may be cheaper to
buy a VGA monitor and an DVI to VGI adapter (DVI cards often come with
a converter anyway).

One thing I can say for sure is that there's no need to upgrade your
graphics adapter just because you're upgrading your monitor!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk