[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon May 22 15:37:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 4:14 pm, Richard Jones said:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:45:44PM +0100, Matthew Cooke wrote:
>> I read about server consolidation all the time in marketing literature
>> but
>> I don't really understand why you would do this with low end hardware.
>
> Horses for courses ...
>
> There are two places we have found where "server consolidation" makes
> a lot of sense.
>
> Firstly we run lots and lots of rather disparate websites, all running
> with different underlying technologies (eg. Perl vs. mod_caml vs. PHP
> vs. CGI vs. static).  It's theoretically possible to run these all
> from the same Apache webserver, but in reality that's both fragile and
> difficult to set up.  We use virtual machines to run each website,
> with a front-end web accelerator which distributes the different
> requests to each back end VM.  This could equally well be done using a
> single machine and having many instances of Apache running on
> different ports, with the accelerator listening on port 80, but using
> many virtual machines also offers isolation.  If one website goes
> crazy, it won't take down all the others.

What kernels are you running? Hand rolled or off a distro?

I now have a machine running a Fedora xen0 with a couple of guests - I
tried to make one Centos but it was more hassle than it seemed worth
compared to using the out-of-the-box stuff I got with Fedora (I can also
see why people think Fedora Core 5 is a return to form compared with FC4)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk