[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue May 16 09:38:19 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Rob Bannocks <rbannocks at yahoo.com> wrote:

> While we are on the topic, can someone explain
> to me concisely the diffrence between xen and
> usermode linux?

UML runs Linux virtual machines as a userland processes on another
Linux machine. Xen is a hypervisor that runs multiple instances of
Linux (piggybacking on the first one for device drivers and access to
hardware). There are various technological differences that could be
debated until the cows come home, but in practical terms for the end
user, the only real differences are performance (Xen is faster) and
the fact that Xen will also let you run other OSes in a virtual
machine, where UML only supports Linux.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk