[Gllug] How to save page with java applet??

Paul Rayner paul at ylemsolutions.com
Mon May 22 22:37:21 UTC 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 22:14, Emon wrote:

>>> The page loaded fine, I saved it, then disconnected, & tried loading
>>> the
>>> page from my home folder, but mozilla says "Loading java applet
>>> failed"
>>>
>> Signed applets are normaly needed for one of two reasons:
>> 1) The applet needs access to local resources
>> 2) The applet needs to contact servers online other than the one from
>> which you loaded it.
>> In the case of 1), seeing as you stated that the site was IE
>> oriented, the functionality requiring access to local resources
>> probably wouldn't work under linux
>> In the case of 2), it won't work when you're not connected to the
>> internet.
>> If you trust this applet, and want to try to run it offline, you
>> could try downloading the archive containing the applet, from:
>> http://www.worldcupchart.com/wcup.jar
>> and saving it in the same directory as you saved the html page. This
>> might work, but I can't verify it as I don't trust the applet, sorry.
>>

> Yup it worked!! How did you know which file to download!! amazing, I
> can't thank you enough.

The html file contains the location of the archive to download in the
<EMBED> tag:

archive="wcup.jar"

> BTW when you said that you *DON'T TRUST THE APPLET* were you being
> cautious, or do you really think that there really might be somthing
> fishy about this applet.

Being cautious really. If you're coming from a Windows background,
treat a signed applet like you'd treat a ".exe" file on a website -
don't trust it unless you trust the source. Others may disagree, but
I'd think it very unlikely that this particular applet would damage
your Linux system. The domain appears to be owned by a real person, the
site has low traffic
(http://extremetracking.com/open;unique?login=jong26) so is unlikely to
be malware (malware authors are usually pretty good at getting traffic
to their sites), and from what you say the applet actually does what it
claims to do. Finally, as always, if the applet were attempt anything
malicious there's a >99.9% chance it would be aimed at Windows users.

If you're worried, you could always create another user account with
very limited priveliges, and run your browser as that user to run the
applet. The applet would then inherit only the limited privileges of
that user.

Regards,

Paul
--
Paul Rayner
Ylem Solutions Ltd ~  4-14 Tabernacle Street, London. EC2A 4LU

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk