[Gllug] Screen logging

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon May 8 14:00:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 02:44:53PM +0100, andrew Black wrote:
> Hi
> Can I make the screen program create a new logfile each time it runs.
> As far as I can see, it logs window 1 to screenlog.1 etc, _appending_ to
>  any data already there.
> I would like it to create a new logfile when it runs.

Looks to me like you have two options:
1) Fiddle the 'logfile' screen option on startup - see "logfile" under
"CUSTOMIZATIONS" in the screen manpage.

2) Write a little wrapper script to rename any existing screenlog.*
files so that you get a unique one for each new screen startup. Stick it
in your ~/bin/ and add that at the front of your $PATH.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk