[Gllug] linux terminal server client "live cd" distro?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon May 15 03:53:01 UTC 2006

On 14/05/06, budgester at budgester.com <budgester at budgester.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 07:31:29PM +0200, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > TreeBoy wrote:
> > >mentions only the one XDMCP CD - look for PXES.
> > >

> > Sadly this one doesn't support the USB or PCMCIA network interfaces the
> > laptop has.
> >
> > >Alternatively, if your laptop is PXE enabled, it might be worth
> > >considering setting LTSP which is not half as hard as you might presume.
> >
> > No PXE option unfortunately. It's a very old, very dumb laptop.
>
> If it's got a floppy, then you could try the http://rom-o-matic.net/
> site to get it booting across the network to a main LTSP server.
>
> Of course that all depends on which NIC you have.
>
> Again I can vouch for LTSP being very good, and certainly a lot easier
> to set up now.

The rom-o-matic images can always be configured for harddisks so if
you have a very small one available you can use that and still be able
to boot somthing else via grub/lilo. I've never heard anyone do this
but getting it to work on a cd should not be impossible. You could
easily do this on one of those smaller creditcard size cds.....

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk