[Gllug] Xen - bit of a ramble

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 19:45:53 UTC 2006

I'm not going to be any help on the installing front but i have been using
Xen for a while.

I tried it originally from the xen liveCD which worked very well if you are
just playing around:
http://www.xensource.com/xen/downloads/

You just pop it in, boot from CD and you can create a few different host
OS's and log into them remotely on different ips.

I was so impressed I'm actually hosting the site I am currently developing
on a Xen host (run by www.unixshell.com on a dual opteron). I've actually
been very impressed with the price/performance of hosted xen.

I have 1 Vm that hosts our main site with 1gig ram dedicated to our VM. The
hosting servers now have over 8gig ram in total as the latest xen supports
addressing over this limit. I also have a smaller xen  host running
monitoring. The site i'm developing is a digg style site for humour so not
that uptime critical (www.eatmyhamster.com) but i've generally been quite
impressed with xen.

I used to manage another app on a cluster of around a dozen real servers and
it's quite nice not to have to worry about hardware failures and in the case
of abovenet the entire datacenter overheating etc,

matt / eeyore

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk