[Gllug] Fedora failure

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed May 24 15:00:02 UTC 2006

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 12:34 am, Karanbir Singh said:
>> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> The box boots to the command line with the new kernel. X fails.
does this mean it attempts to start (and then doesn't) or that it just
boots to CLI?
what happens with system-config-display?
your xorg.conf file doesn't use nvidia (or other binary-only) drivers,
does it?

> I copied some files over from a working FC5 install and now yum starts but
> fails saying no mirror is available.
which files did you copy?

You *do* have functional internet access, yes?

what are the contents of /etc/yum.repos.d/...
fedora-core.repo
fedora-extras.repo
fedora-updates.repo
?

if these files specify a mirrorlist, you can always comment that out and
uncomment the baseurl line for your first go...
(or try wgetting the mirrorlist and adding a few baseurls from it instead.)

I am quite happy to send you my configs from this box if you'd like them.

> I suppose if I was told what files I need to copy from a working FC5 yum
> then I could fix this.

I think someone already answered this. But all the files above might be
a good idea. (and also /etc/yum.conf)

followed by a 'yum clean metadata' to clear out old cruft

I would also suggest a
yum update yum
before anything else.
and also that (if you wish to save the updates locally) that you edit
/etc/yum.conf and change the keepcache=0 line to keepcache=1.
check this after your 'yum' update (it changed on my FC5 box!)

Regards

Stuart
- --
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk