[Gllug] Problems with cpan install

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:10:33 UTC 2006

On 08/11/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
> > I find it a lot easier to just use my own perl and cpan than rely on
> > debian packagers, at least if I want to use any modules from this
> > century.
> >

> As it turned out I installed the GD perl wrapper library via apt and then
> used CPAN to install the actual module. I did that before everybody wrote
> in saying "don't use CPAN" but it works and that's what matters...

That's the problem with debian perl packages though - they can stop
CPAN from installing packages correctly while providing only a small
fraction of CPAN and usually months (or even years in some cases) out
of date.

Having recently used FreeBSD, I have to say ports is far better than
debian packaging for perl, if only because when I install a package
via cpan or by hand, it updates the local package management and works
flawlessly (so far) mixing hand-installed custom perl modules, CPAN
modules and FreeBSD ports perl modules.

Cheers,

A.

--