[Gllug] IP address changes

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:09:31 UTC 2006

On 28/11/06, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > Mostly, I see it used to protect credit card transactions; people are
> > concerned about hackers stealing their credit card numbers as they
> > move through the network. By now it should be obvious that hackers
> > don't steal credit card numbers one by one across the network; they
> > steal them in bulk -- by the thousands or even millions -- by breaking
> > into poorly protected networks.
>
> This is true but more likely a cracker is going to attack a server on that
> network and, if possible, it will be the one that carries out the
> transactions or the database server if there is one.
>
> Given how poorly many businesses maintain their servers it's no surprise
> as it only makes sense to maximum return on effort by attacking weak
> points.
>
> Jason

Not make a lot of difference anyway. You try increasing your
creditcard security. The Bank will not listen and will even charge you
extra for the privilege of cutting there problem.
If you think they are trying to stop the problems think again. I mean
just take how successful Chip and Pin has been. Probably the weakest
point to hightest gain is Visa its self!

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk