[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 28 18:50:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, TreeBoy wrote:

> Finally: I'm afraid that I am one of Those People (tm) that just have never
> got to grips with Perl. I consider it a Write-Once-Throw-Away language simply
> because of the number of times that I have met code that I find completely
> unintelligible. I have written and seen obfuscated code in C, C++, Fortran,
> Modula2, various Basics, PHP, Logo, Lisp, 6502 Assembler, 6800 Assembler, x86
> Assembler, VAX Assembler, HP-UX assembler.... But Perl seems to require it!

Well formed code in perl is simply a function of a decent programmer. If
the code is hard to read that's just a matter of the way the author
approached the problem (s)he was solving.

The thing with perl is that even poorly written code will do what the
author wants so long as the code gives the right instructions.

It is however very easy to write very readable code in perl.

As in every case of such an arguement it's horses for courses but everyone
who disagrees with me is wrong :)

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98