[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Nov 21 00:31:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 11:04:17PM +0000, TreeBoy wrote:
> Hi trousers. (!)
>
> The biggest issue that you will have is deciding which widget set or library
> to target.
>
> I find KDE to be simplest because KDevelop makes developing Qt apps very
> simple, because the "Hello World" app always works on every distro. This is
> mostly geared towards C++ though.
>
> The equivalent in Gnome is Anjuta, but the number of issues in getting simple
> apps even to compile (in Debian anyway) can be quite problematic. Sourceforge
> is chocka with queries about getting the "Hello World" sample to work! Using
> the C++ bindings with Gnome can be a little unusual.

Yeah, I'd recommend *against* trying to learn GTK/GNOME by starting with
the C / C++ bindings. Instead go for the Python GTK bindings, which will
allow you to focus on learning about GTK itself, without worrying about
all the crazy C++ memory management stuff. If you really find yourself
wanting to do it in C, then the knowledge of the APIs from PyGTK is easily
transfered & will make for an easier learning experiance.

I managed to write a useful app in Python + GTK having started from zero
prior knowledge of either, in little more than a day. I certainly could
not have done the same with C/C++ :-)

Then again, you do say you want to have a C/C++ mentor so perhaps you
want the chaellenge of it. If so, then I'd recommend just stick with the
algorithmic side of C/C++ rather than trying to learn both C/C++ and GUI
programming in one go.

Dan.