[Gllug] Re: Timeouts in perl

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 15:05:12 UTC 2006

On 06/11/06, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Have you emailed petdance (the author) about this - I can't see any
> > reference to it in rt.cpan.org so you haven't registered it as a bug.
>
> Errr... no. Mailing a list of clued up people that happen to know far
> more about perl than me seemed a better place to start. Is it even a
> bug? Could it not be that I'm just doing something wrong instead?

I was just assuming you'd get a more helpful response quicker on that list.

GLLUG is pretty well clued up on perl, but the specific list would I
imagine have solved your problem by now.

> > Obviously this is assuming you have any interest in solving the
> > problem rather than just bitching about a language you barely know.
>
> I have made no attempt to disguise my distaste for perl on this list
> (or elsewhere). However, I am a firm believer in using the right tool
> for the job, and in this instance, perl is probably that tool, so I
> set aside my prejudices and got on with writing the code. Yes, it's
> true that I barely know the language. That's probably part of the
> reason why I ran into problems, and why I'm asking for help...

Fair enough.

> True, there are almost certainly better places to ask (a perl specific
> list, for example). But it seemed fair to try asking here first -- a
> list that I know is read by those with far more knowledge of perl than
> me, and it's an easy option. If (as it seems), no one is able to help,
> then I'll start looking elsewhere. But I believed (and still believe)
> that the GLLUG list is a good place to start.

It is, but as I suggested - try the more specific lists if the problem
isn't easily solved on a non-specific list like this.

> Yes, I have an interest in solving the problem, otherwise I wouldn't
> have said anything in the first place. As a vocal advocate of perl on
> this list, perhaps you could point me in the right direction, rather
> than just bitching about my language preferences.

I did - I suggested contacting the author because the behaviour seems
odd, as well as the specific mailing list for these types of
questions. Also try using WWW::Mechanize's built in time out rather
than writing your own.

I'm afraid on your past form it's hard to tell if you're just whining
about perl or actually have a genuine problem that you want help with
;) Not that I haven't found bitching on various places like irc and
use.perl cathartic in the past.

I think it's pretty clear from the responses here that you're aren't
making a stupid mistake and it's worth raising it on the relevent
module mailing list (for which I provided a url earlier), and possibly
writing to the author (who in turn may ask you to file a bug with a
test case).

Cheers,

A.

--