[Gllug] NICs on RHEL 4.0

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Nov 8 16:06:45 UTC 2006

Yashpal Nagar wrote:

> What i have tried:
> 1. By specifying the HWADDR keyword in ifcfg-eth0 but no luck.
> 2. i have also tried putting BOOTPROTO=none and placing the
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:0B:CD:4E:31:C1 in /etc/rc.d/rc/local
> and then restart the network interface as told at

You're almost there.

But all these commands do is change the MAC address on an existing
interface,
ie. the interface which the system 'thinks' is eth0
They can't flip the interfaces over. What is eth0 remains  eth0

I bet you Kudzu is changing the adapters. Kudzu authors file includes
Auld nick himself.

The fix is to

a) find out what are the MAC addresses of each physical interface.
    ie. boot it up, and use ifconfig eth0 when you've figured out which
is eth0.  Or maybe just open the lid and look at the labels.

b) Change the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
    files to be tagged with the MAC address, eg
ifcfg-eth-id-00:0B:CD:4E:31:C1

SuSE YAST2 does this for you - sorry can't think that hard about RHEL
today as I have my SuSE head on. So if above isn't exactly RHEL syntax
then I apologise.
I'm deep in 'hw ether' type tagging of a system in Edinburgh today, so
this is on my mind.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk