[Gllug] Core 2 duo / Intel 965 chipset

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 10:51:08 UTC 2006

On Sat 11 Nov, John Hearns wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
> >

> >    Is there an up-to-the-minute list of hardware that is known to work (or
> > not work) with which flavours of Linux? I see lots of new hardware on the
> > shelf sealed in pretty boxes, but the boxes usually only give informatiom
> > about compatibility with M$.
>
> Basically, no.
> this debate has been going on on the Scientific Linux mailing list.
> The idea of a hardware compatibility list for SL has been floated - but
> having a formal one is a mammoth undertaking. IIRC there is a Wiki on a
> volunteer basis.
> And as we know hardware moves at a rapid pace - new chipsets like the
> Intel q965 and new SAS controllers.

   I can read the very brief descriptions on the boxes in stock, including
motherboards from Asus, GigaByte, Foxconn, Winfast, and others, but I have
no idea which are a total NO at present, maybe - requires testing, or should
work. For example, I noticed that one board carried a Broadcom NIC, and I
understand that could be a problem, or is that now sorted? I may even be
able to borrow some for testing, as well as using one for myself. As you
say, new variations arrive continuously. I am trying to get information
direct, but that is not easy, and there are often language difficulties.

--
Chris Bell