[Gllug] SwitchedOnUK

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 16 09:36:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Alex Crow wrote:

> However, since they have the copper and the voltages already
> established, and in the US there are new requirements for VOIP providers
> to provide 911 service (ie direct automatically to nearest response
> centre, which will cost them and us loads), which will probably (sigh)
> get copied in the UK, they are still sitting pretty. I wouldn't expect
> the service on your copper tail to change.

Emergency services call already cost loads to handle.

The stated intention of BT is to change the service supplied on each line.
Mapping VoIP calls to the appropriate emergency services call centre is
something UK VoIP providers are already working to resolve - it's
essentially a "best guess" lookup based upon the account details and the
IP address of the connection.

BT will be upgraded every exchange over the next 5 or 6 years. Core
network components are already being upgraded.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98