[Gllug] Mailing package

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 19:29:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:01:18 +0000 John Hearns
<john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:

> Rich Walker wrote:
> >

> > Openoffice with a spreadsheet used as a database.
> > Make a query on the database.
> > Use the output of the query for a mail merge operation.
> >

> Would be worth looking at an SQlite database too (dead easy to use).
> www.sqlite.org
> Googling seems to indicate that SQlite can be tied into OO.
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/data_source/SQLite.pdf
>
> John should be able to write a program in Visual Basic
>   to dump his existing data into a SQlite database.
> Google visual basic sqlite
>
> Bit of effort to get your existing data into a database would pay off
> in the long run.
> Oh, and Freshmeat has label templates for Ooffice.

Seems to be a bit of an obsession with OOffice in these parts.

The problem with what's being proposed is that it involves me writing
most of the package.

The printing of the mailing labels is a small part of the actual work
that a mailing program does. There's also the maintenance of the names
and addresses - adding, amending, deleting and enquiring on - as well
as, seeing that I need names and addresses by category, the maintenance
of the categories - renaming and merging them, for example - as well as
such things as deleting all names and addresses within a category.

And that's just to reproduce what I've got at  the moment. I would have
thought a package produced for public use would have had rather more in
the way of facilities.

I'd rather not rewrite if I had to. I was hoping to get away from that
sort of thing. But, on the other hand, I've always wanted to learn C++,

--
 All the best,
 John