[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Nov 22 17:12:54 UTC 2006

On 22/11/06, TreeBoy <gllug at petethetree.co.uk> wrote:
> > I don't think it's that much trouble to add a
> > few extra things to your google searches to find information relevant
> > to your chosen way of doing things.
>
> I do not know which extra terms to add because I did not know that there were
> other terms that are relevant.

Well, if you choose to use libglade and you are having trouble with,
say, tooltips, just be sure to search on "gtk libglade tooltips", not
just "gtk tooltips".  That's all I meant.

> Again, you are entirely right except that "everyone points you at KDevelop if
> you want to learn". I believe that GNOME is missing out on huge numbers of
> developers because there is no GNOME equivalent.

Possibly true.  Feel free to write one! :-)  Or help make Anjuta better.

> I'm now learning wxPython (which is GTK-based embarrassingly) because it works
> on Windows and Linux. Learning Python and wx at the same time is surprisingly
> less difficult than I imagined.

Python is certainly a very nice language for quick learning curve and
quick development of scripts and the like.  It probably shouldn't be
used for very large applications though, as it gets a little java-like
upon scaling - large memory footprints, gc gaps, etc.  But then you
can code the core of the app in C and wrap it in a python frontend.

> > Pete
> (My name's Pete too!)

However, unfortunately, I'm not a tree. :-(

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk