[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 21 22:47:28 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>salsaman wrote:
>

>>However, libglade itself is quite nice - the recommended method now is
>>to generate interfaces using xml and libglade.
>>

>Of course that means your app depends on libglade, and has to pull in an
>XML parser every time it starts up. I can't help but think that this
>approach contributes to bloat, and a little careful coding time at the
>outset could save a lot of resources. Also ISTR last time I looked at
>Glade that there are a number of things that can be done with the widget
>set, but can't be done with Glade.
>
>Mike

It depends what you are doing with libglade.

One project I know of, veejay-ng uses libglade to create all its
interfaces on the fly.

The veejay client sends messages to the veejay server, which creates an
xml file and passes it to libglade, which then renders the interface.
This makes the application very flexible.

See http://veejay.dyne.org/

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk