[Gllug] [JOB] - Perl developer in Linux environment

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Nov 10 16:11:59 UTC 2006

On Nov 10, 03:23, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> wrote:
>
> >There are lots of people with no skills and no experience trying to lie
> >there way into jobs at the moment.
>
> This is true.
>
> Do people use telephone interviews or written tests as part of their
> recruitment procedure?  I've done both in the past one both ends of
> the stick and have found them to be quite useful - and the threat of a
> written test usually makes those with highly polished CVs run away
> quickly.

We use both now, we may not be finding wheat but it is clearing the
chaff.

Our most glorious failures were both Linux candidates a few months ago,
the first had a brilliant CV and answered all the theory questions, it
wasn't until we got him into interview that we found he could only work
with webmin and couldn't understand why we wouldn't consider him.  the
second was really scary he actually shook and muttered to himself during
the interview and seemed to get his answers from an imaginary friend.

--
Peace Jim :-)

 Remember 'the Earth is not dying, it is being murdered and the people
 murdering it have names and addresses'
 -- British EF!, seen in DiY Culture: Party and Protest in Nineties Britain