[Gllug] Was: VACANCY: System Administrator, Old Street, London, Min Salary ?30k

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Fri Nov 17 17:29:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:19:03PM +0000, David Damerell wrote:
> If the best reason you can come up with to be civil is the threat of
> violence - like Jonathan - you're not doing too well. Personally, I
> prefer rude people to violent ones.

It's not about the threat of violence; you have to really push to
get most people to give you a smack. Most people just don't care enough
about other peoples opinions to rise to it. Unless partners, children,
religion or alcohol is involved. ;)

I've always found that people are just more polite when they're face to
face, it's easy to build rapport with someone when you're dealing with
them in person while it's too easy to be dispassionate and harsh when
dealing with abstracted text. Which is why we've only ever had one argument
at an actual GLLUG meeting where as we have a number of... disagreements on
the list every couple of months.

Some of the lists I'm on go through periods where everyone is basically
arsey to everyone else, they'll have a meet up and then everyone is a
lot friendlier for the next couple of months.

In a way I'm saying everyone should go to the next meeting :)

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand