[Gllug] Some good news - copyright on sound recordings not to be extended

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Nov 27 22:25:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> > Exactly my impression. Lots of news services are acting as if this is a
> > huge problem and oh-so-terrible, but, um, if you want to be paid after
> > expiry, try *doing some work in the half-century-plus since
> > 1955*. Sheesh.
>
> Personally I think copyright should be valid until the death/dissolution
> of the holder.

It is and then a further 70 years but only for the actual author or other
proper copyright holder.

This discussion is about a stupid copyright on recordings/broadcasts which
Cliff and his greedy mates want to extend from an excessive 50 years to 95
years.

It's interesting to note that the broadcasters, who are the ones getting
to spin this, would be the main beneficiaries of an extention as they are
the ones who hold large bodies of such material - remember that copyright
in a recording arises each time they make a programme.

> > Now all we have to do is get other copyright terms reduced similarly.
>
> It seems that you think this is a huge problem and oh-so-terrible.  Why
> is that?

A more appropriate question, to my mind, is why does anyone need copyright
to last 70 years after the death of the author?

Why do we need perpetual copyright on selected materials just because the
proceeds go to a hospital that is supposed to be NHS funded?

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98