[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 21 13:23:16 UTC 2006

Pete Ryland wrote:

>> > Of course, *real* programmers just use EMACS and GTK+ ;-)
>> >
>> INFIDEL!
>> vi and curses of course
>

> You missed the point.  He was only talking about Anjuta in
> juxtaposition to KDE's KDevelop of which they're quite rightly proud.
> The thing is, most GTK+ (and GNOME)[1] developers would feel quite
> limited by that type of IDE, instead preferring vi/emacs.  However,
> while Anjuta gets left by the wayside, Glade does indeed get a lot of
> use.
>
> Pete
>
> [1] Note that GTK+ is including more and more stuff that used to be in
> GNOME, to the point where a lot of GNOME programs now only depend on
> GTK+.

Glade is horrible, and produces really bad code. In fact even the gtk+
devs. advise people not to use it. It took me 2 years to learn "proper"
GTK+ programming after working with the rubbish that Glade produces.

However, libglade itself is quite nice - the recommended method now is
to generate interfaces using xml and libglade.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk