[Gllug] Exchange equivalents on Linux

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Nov 3 10:18:19 UTC 2006

On Nov 02, 05:53, Casper Gasper wrote:
> On 02/11/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> >Philip Hands wrote:
> >[snip]
> >> Hula might be an option at some point, but I won't be touching it until
> >> they dump mbox format and start using Maildir instead (which is in the
> >> works apparently, which is an improvement over their previous "there's
> >> nothing wrong with mbox, and anyway Maildir is too slow" nonsense).
>
> I attended a presentation by a hula developer a couple of months ago,
> and he specifically covered the mbox issue.  He claimed that ISPs
> couldn't use maildir as they would quickly run out of inodes, and he
> certainly didn't mention any shift to Maildir.

If that true then it is utter tosh, we have 40,000 customers on Postfix
and Maildirs and in the US we have 10x that number.  Inodes have never
been an issue with that system or with my own where I have around
tens of thousands of archived mails from lists.

Currently looking at Zimbra which has a good basic support for free and
seems to offer some nice "enterprise features" on a per seat license.

http://www.zimbra.com/

--
Peace Jim :-)

 My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness
 -- The Dalai Lama